Friday 24 January 2014

Embracing the Unconventional Life



“Be in love with your life, every detail of it.”
~ Jack Kerouac
I have always been a restless individual.
Ever since I was a small child, I would dart from one activity to the next, from book, to paints, to den building, to climbing frame and back to book, with a sense of urgency and energy, always looking for the next adventure.
I grew up with an endless thirst for creativity, picking up art projects, musical instruments, dance classes and ideas in a never-ending whirlwind to satisfy something, a hunger, a need to to fulfill a burning desire to create, to vent this mad passion for life in any way, shape or form that I could get my hands on.

A deep craving to experience absolutely everything this world has to offer, simultaneously, madly, wildly. An endless itinerary of needs, wants and desires, settling on each like a butterfly on a flower, flitting wings  ready to move with wild abandon to the next beautiful blossom that life had to offer

Twelve months ago, I left the comfortable confines of the UK to embark on the biggest journey of my life. I booked a one way ticket, packed my bags, and with an almost unbearable sense of excitement, jumped on the plane, with no plans, no agenda and no regrets.
My lifetime of darting, jumping, starting, finishing, stopping and dropping had led me to leave my old life behind and embark on a journey of self-discovery and adventure.
“Buy the ticket, take the ride…” ~ Hunter S. Thompson
I have always been happiest when I am outside of routine, escaped from structure, ignorant to the daily cycles of wake-work-sleep which so many feel trapped within.
I was now living more freely and as impulsively than ever before and it made my soul sing and my heart leap. Where was I going? What was I going to do? Who knows? Who cares? I am the master of my universe now!
The more I succumbed to the ebb and flow of life, the more I came to understand my purpose on this journey and embrace each new experience with a sense of awe and wonder at how synchronistic life could be when you opened your heart and soul to its magic.
Society has taught us to stay, to settle, to stop our hungry hearts from yearning for freedom. We are dragged through a repeated and recycled life of education-marriage-settle.
But what if you are filled with a burning and bursting longing for more? What if your heart screams at you to move, to create, to write, to paint, to sing, to travel, to live? My heart has been screaming all my life — I want more!



My restlessness is, and always has been, my soul’s way of expressing this. I did not know it back then as a child but I was always destined for the unusual and the unconventional, and it is only now that I am coming to fully embrace my restless ways, my flitting and my fleeing, my search for meaning, my search for more…
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ~ Mark Twain
If you want to leave, leave. If you want to move across the world for love, do so. If you want to create, create! Screw society’s conventions and follow that bursting heart of yours.
I may not lead the most conventional of lives, I may not know what is round the corner — which can be scary, but I am trying to live my life as honestly and passionately as possible, even if that means sacrificing security. I am on my own weird and wonderful journey, and for me, the magic is in the mystery.
“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move…” ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment